Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Info-Dump

Info-dump is a huge problem with many rookie authors. Basically it's saying this: "I'm Jerry Dooger, I'm seventeen years young, my parents are famous, and I have a dog named Roof." All in the first paragraph. Never, ever start any story or book with these lines, or any variation of. Start off with some action or an important scene, and allude to things in a way that isn't too apparent. This is one form of info-dump. The other is more covert and just as bad.

Info-dump can appear in any part of the story. Basically, it's a paragraph filled with back story. "My parents died when I was eight. I moved in with my aunt and uncle when I was nine. When I was ten, I ran away to join the circus. Ever since then I've been a clown performing for the general public". You shouldn't introduce all of these concepts right away. Spread them out. When the death of the character's parents is brought up, you inform the reader about them. Don't go into the aunt and uncle part yet. When they are mentioned, elaborate on them. Then, when the circus is brought up, talk about that.

Take all of the information in steps and don't clump it all together. The reason I'm telling you to do this is that your reader will stop reading when they spot a long paragraph filled with back story. It slows the plot down and causes the reader to skip paragraphs to get back to the story.

No comments: